Monday, April 11, 2005

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

An email discussion with my LA correspondent reminded me of 2003's unfortunate remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. While not as asinine as the shot-by-shot remake of Psycho (why would you do this?), the new Massacre did reach some pretty high levels of unwatchability. I have to say, though, that it did have one of the best scenes in a recent horror movie: when Jessica Biel wanders into the trailer near the end of the movie with the baby-stealing lady and the old woman who looked disturbingly like Ernest P. Worrell. What a delightfully claustrophobic and unexpected scene. I found myself wondering if a good director had snuck into the cutting room and inserted his stuff while the "real" director wasn't paying attention. Alas, the movie reverted to its wasteful ways after that, but at least that one scene redeemed somewhat the time I invested watching it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which is why, as painful as it may be, you will have to see "The Amityville Horror." Perhaps this will redeem the "Massacre."

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed that Brian Van Holt stars as the central "bad guy" in "House of Wax." His roles in motion pictures generally create the, "oh, its that guy" effect. Personally, I enjoy his acting, and it may be enough to off set certain other actors in "House of Wax."

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home