Monday, April 11, 2005

Baseball Blogging

I did my first fantasy baseball draft in many years a couple of weeks ago, and I wanted to blog about how it went, even though I am a little late. My fantasy baseball exploits were not very successful the first time I played, primarily because I found it difficult to keep up the focus for such a long season. However, I watched a lot more baseball last season due to a combination of the Tigers' resurgence and a home gym that enabled me to watch many games while lifting weights. So this year I decided to take the plunge, even though my knowledge is not nearly where it should be. That's why I joined a cheap league. In the draft, I went heavily for hitting, and it turned out to be even more heavily so because of a couple of glitches in the Java applet I was using to draft. It's a ten team 5x5 mixed roto league. Here is my team (including a couple of post-draft changes; after a week of the season, I'm pretty happy: my boys are high in all the batting categories, and I can only improve because my pitching can't get worse):
Starting lineup:
Catchers: Javy Lopez, Baltimore; Joe Mauer, Twins
First Base: Derrek Lee, Cubs
Second Base: Brian Roberts, Orioles
Third Base: Scott Rolen, Cards
Short Stop: Miguel Tejada, Orioles
Outfielders: Johnny Damon, Boston; Juan Pierre, Marlins; Trot Nixon, Boston; Craig Monroe, Detroit Tigers; Shawn Green, Arizona
Utility: David Ortiz, Boston; Carlos Pena, Detroit Tigers
Starting Pitchers: Jeremy Bonderman, Detroit Tigers; A.J. Burnett, Marlins; Matt Clement, Boston; Jeff Weaver, Dodgers
Closers: Braden Looper, Mets; Francisco Cordero, Texas; Trevor Hoffman, Padres; Brandon Lyon, Arizona
Bench:
Casey Blake, Indians
Orlando Hernandez, White Sox

As I said above, the team has done pretty well so far. I am a little amazed at the number of blown saves so far from my closers, but as long as they keep their jobs I should be all right. At least my hitters are hitting, for the most part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home