Monday, October 24, 2005

A Big Change for Anne Rice

Ms. Rice no longer will be writing vampire novels, which is a loss some will feel more keenly than others (I thought Interview with the Vampire was a great idea executed in a mediocre fashion). In her own words: "I promised," she says, "that from now on I would write only for the Lord."

Her new book is a novel narrated by the 7 year old Jesus. How's that for a curveball? I have to admit, I am curious . One thing in the article I connected with is this quote about New Testament scholarship that Ms. Rice had found "disturbingly skeptical": "Even Hitler scholarship usually allows Hitler a certain amount of power and mystery." I remember similar thoughts from my various religion courses in undergrad; I always wondered why you would spend so much time on a subject you thought was so much hocus pocus. I think her book might be worth a look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home