Monday, June 20, 2005

The Devil's Rejects

I'm pretty excited about Rob Zombie's new movie. I thought House of 1000 Corpses was pretty underrated. There was a lot to like about it, especially the scenes with the clown at the gas station and his "tour of serial killers" ride. Ultimately, the movie did get a little too crazy at the end. I wasn't a big fan of Dr. Satan. He was just too fantastical compared to the rest of the movie to really pack a punch. What I loved about the movie, though, was Mr. Zombie's evident love of horror. From the Halloween scenes, to Otis and Granpa watching old horror movies, to the two couples looking for offbeat roadside attractions who are inordinately attracted to the aforementioned ride, the movie has a lot of little details for a horror buff to appreciate. My only concern about the new movie is that it might concentrate too much on the type of graphic violence that was found in Corpses. This business about the main characters going on a "killing spree" has me wondering. I don't mind a little violence from these people (the Swiss Family Robinson they ain't), but, as always I am of the school that understatement is more effective. I thought the first movie had a lot to offer, and the violence didn't always add to the frightening atmosphere. Still, I will being seeing the new movie as soon as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home