Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"I never met, and hope I will never meet, such a monster"

So says a German scientist who studies "rogue waves," quoted in this fascinating article. I first wrote about this phenomenon here, recalling how unsettling it was to read about these monsters right before I went on my honeymoon cruise. According to the article, scientists have now come to accept rogue waves as a fact and have measured many exceeding 80 or 90 feet. Chilling fact: the 90 footers may be the small ones. Apparently the theoretical maximum scientists have calculated is 198 feet. That is taller than the Statue of Liberty. Yeah. The article mentions a seven story wave that plowed into a cruise ship off the coast of Georgia in 2005. No one was killed, fortunately, but some of the passengers, after surviving a wave that reached the tenth deck of their cruise ship, vowed that they would never sail again.

Would you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home