Friday, June 30, 2006

Quentin Tarantino

I respect what the guy does and the passion he puts into his movies, and I am always at least interested to hear about whatever his new project might be.

That said, something about Tarantino really annoys me. I don't know if it's the forced "coolness" in all of his movies, that really annoying faux-badassness that all his characters have. Maybe it's that I can't get the name "O-Ren-Ish-ii," over-pronounciation and all, out of my head. It could be that Pulp Fiction was wildly overrated (it's an okay movie, but let's not get carried away: the garbled story-telling is only a clever way to mask the improbable coincidences that would look ridiculous if the story was told in the right order. It's not as manipulative as that bastard Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which I hate passionately the more I think about it, but it's close. End run-on parenthetical).

I'm sure all of these things help, but really annoys me is his glee in the new Entertainment Weekly, paper version, about how the new direction of horror movies is toward ever more explicit violence. He's probably right, but I hate him for being happy about it. One of the best horror movies over the last couple of years was The Exorcism of Emily Rose, but Saw, which I did like, is being used as a teaching tool for horror-illiterate movie executives. It's shame.

Still, I'm kind of looking forward to Grind House.

PS -- Don't throw The Devil's Rejects in my face. That movie had far superior characters to almost any major studio-released horror flick.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

What irritated you about Eternal?

5:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't like that they showed his love affair with Kate Winslet's character backward, because they show their happiest memories at the end of the movie and you think they should get back together. But when they actually broke up, they were miserable and seemed like they were ready to kill each other. When I remembered that, I just felt like they were trying to dupe me. I didn't like that.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I liked it because it was semi-unique. I guess I'm just a sucker for creative storytelling. I get bored with the standard linear pointless "Character Study" type movies.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home