Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

This movie looks pretty cool. I had heard about it before, but I didn't realize that is coming out in early September. Horror is definitely hot right now (take a look at the list of upcoming horror movies at fangoria for some impressive support). If there is a trend upward in horror, I wonder how much the frightening events in the real world lately, such as terrorism and the tsunami, have influenced it? After all, people need outlets for their fear, and scary movies are good for that. I seem to remember reading someone's theory that the Cold War and its accompanying nuclear fears inspired their fair share of horror, Invasion of the Body Snatchers being a prominent example. This war we're in now definitely shares some features of the Cold War, in terms of paranoia and fears of violence far from any readily identifiable battlefield. I think it's an interesting parallel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home