Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Worst Idol Yet?

This yahoo claims that whichever of the two Idol finalists wins this year will be the worst Idol yet. I'm not going to waste a lot of time addressing his arguments, primarily because he doesn't really have any. I did want to point out a couple of things. First, in terms of comparing these two to the other Idols, I wonder if this guy watched Fantasia's awe-inspiringly bad wailing on the show earlier in the season? I'm not much of a Carrie fan, but even she would be better than that. Second, Bo "somehow mistook himself for a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd?" Color me skeptical that this Farber guy is much of a Skynyrd fan. Somehow I can't picture him in his New York apartment flipping through Rolling Stone magazine with "Sweet Home Alabama" pumping out of his stereo.

I think Bo, and to a lesser extent Carrie, is a welcome change for this show. I've only watched bits and pieces of the show in the past, and that was mainly because it seemed to specialize in that R & B dreck that Mr. Farber mentions. Bo actually sings songs that I want to hear again, even the ones I've never heard before. Farber claims that Bo and Carrie not being R&B-pop performers will hurt them commercially. That's possible, but I'm not convinced. There is a pretty strong tradition of southern rock from Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers up through The Black Crowes that seems to sell pretty well, whatever Mr. Farber might think of its artistic merit. One interesting thing they mentioned on the last broadcast: so far Justin was the only finalist who was not southern. Make of that what you will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home