Friday, April 22, 2005

Blog Readability

Via Professor Bainbridge comes this link to a site that tests the readability of the website that you enter. Of course, I had to try it out for my blog. Here are the results:

Summary Value
Total sentences 704
Total words 9,463
Average words per Sentence 13.44
Words with 1 Syllable 6,469
Words with 2 Syllables 2,007
Words with 3 Syllables 711
Words with 4 or more Syllables 276
Percentage of word with three or more syllables 10.43%
Average Syllables per Word 1.45
Gunning Fog Index 9.55
Flesch Reading Ease 70.53
Flesch-Kincaid Grade 6.76

The two most important numbers are the Gunning Fog Index and the Flesch Reading Ease. The Gunning Fogg Index reflects the number of years of school you need to understand the site. Although I am lower than the good Professor by a couple of years, I'm pretty happy with my Gunning Fogg, because the range for most popular novels is 8-10. Popular novels are the kind of novels I write, so I can't argue with being in that range. The Flesch Reading Ease grade is also good because according to the site "authors are encouraged to aim for a score of approximately 60 to 70."

In other words, in addition to insanity, my blog has readability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home