Thursday, September 22, 2005

Summer Has Ended...

...and so has the Summer of the Vampire. Yes, I did finish reading Dark Dance, although it was touch and go to be honest. I've delayed writing this post because this whole series of books has been disappointing. I kept waiting for the really good one, the white-knuckler, but it never came. Oh well. I'll do a brief recap of Ms. Lee's opus, and then end with a ranking of the four (everybody likes rankings).

There's not a heck of a lot to say about DD. As I mentioned a while back, it started off interesting. However, once the main character, Rachaela (Yes, that was her name. There was a guy named Adamus too. And yes, reading those names did get annoying after a while) arrives at the spooky house on the heath, the forward movement of the plot peters to a stop. Things happen after this, 350 pages worth of them, but the string of events is not really a plot. I was mildly curious about how she would wrap it up, but even that felt obvious when I read it. Not the best horror book I've ever read.

So here's the rankings:

1. Vampire Junction; not a perfect book, but far beyond the others
2. The Historian; ambitious and highly enjoyable at times, but too many words in between those times
3. Dark Dance; neat beginning, some creativity, and an excellent back of the book blurb equals not quite last place
4. Children of the Night; Awful; I'm surprised the bloodsuckers haven't come after Mr. Simmons for this one

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Facebook, Myspace keep students glued
If you're searching for someone's photo, street address, favorite color or deepest, darkest secret, it may be accessible thanks to the Internet and Web sites such as Facebook.com, Myspace.com and ...
Hi there, I enjoyed visiting your blog and will certainly bookmark it for future reference as well as telling my online friends.
I have discovered a series of handy insurance directories on the subject of Life Insurance UK: Why not check it out and bookmark it for future use.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home